Samira Asgari’s laboratory of “Human Genomics of Infection and Immunity” at the Institute for Genomic Health and the Department of Genetics and Genomics Sciences at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai is looking for a bioinformatician.
In the Asgari lab, we focus on understanding the human genetic basis of infection and immunity using statistical, functional, and population genomics methods. Some of the questions we ask include: What are the human genetic variants underlying susceptibility and resistance to specific pathogens? What are the molecular mechanisms connecting these variants to cellular functions and immune responses? and How do differences in population history and demography play into susceptibility and resistance to specific pathogens?
You can read more about our group and its research here: https://icahn.mssm.edu/profiles/samira-asgari
- Analyzes human genomics data including large-scale sequencing, genotyping, and single-cell RNA-seq data.
- Develop pipelines that can be shared with and executed by collaborators for our multi-site, international collaborations.
- Analyzes and assists in interpreting results.
- Assists in the analysis and review of data for publication and presentation.
- May help and train less-experienced research staff and trainees in data analysis.
- Curiosity, collegiality, and interest in science.
- Master’s degree or higher in computer science, programming, data science, biostatistics, bioinformatics, or related fields.
- Ability to code comfortably in at least one of the following languages: R, Python, or Perl.
- Familiarity with the basics of statistical inference.
- Familiarity with bash and HPC/LSF.
- Ability to innovate and think critically in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Willingness to take initiative.
- Good verbal and written English communication skills.
How to Apply
To apply please send your CV and a short cover letter (about 1 paragraph) expressing why you are applying for this job to email@example.com
We are committed to attracting and training scientists from diverse backgrounds who are excited about helping us expand the current understanding of infectious disease biology and immunology through human genomics. We seek individuals who share our values of collegiality, rigor, and having fun doing science. We work hard to acquire and retain the best people and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care. As a mentor, my mission is to teach you what I know and to learn from you what you are in the process, to listen to you, and to help you set and reach your career goals.
Why our research matters
Infectious diseases are one of the leading causes of mortality and morbidity worldwide. While many old infections like tuberculosis and HIV still claim millions of lives every year globally. New and emerging infections are also becoming a growing threat due to population growth, urbanization of animal habitats, global warming, and rapid population movement. There is thus a pressing need for a better understanding of infectious disease biology and for the development of innovative diagnoses, preventive, and therapeutic measures to combat ongoing and future outbreaks.
About Our Organization
The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai is internationally recognized as a leader in groundbreaking clinical and basic science research and is known for its innovative approach to medical education. With a faculty of more than 3,400 in 38 clinical and basic science departments and centers, Mount Sinai ranks among the top 20 medical schools in receipt of National Institutes of Health grants. In its 2015 “America’s Best Graduate Schools” issue, U.S. News & World Report ranks the Icahn School of Medicine 14th out of 130 medical schools nationwide. Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center–An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.
USD$80,000-100,000 USD + benefits