The Bunyavanich Lab welcomes talented, self-motivated individuals who can fulfill the responsibilities and requirements below to apply for a bioinformatician position in our lab at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. The successful applicant will be part of an interdisciplinary team led by Dr. Supinda Bunyavanich that applies computational analysis and bioinformatics to interpret multi-omic data generated from subjects with asthma and allergic diseases. Our researchers receive generous packages, including robust salaries and a wealth of opportunities to participate in academic activities at Mount Sinai, across NYC, and as part of national NIH-sponsored research networks. We are located in the heart of Manhattan, and Mount Sinai is one of the oldest and largest teaching hospitals in the US.
- Graduate degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, or related field
- Outstanding programming skills in R, Python, and strong knowledge of Unix shell scripting.
- Excellent track record of analyzing next generation sequencing data required. Experience with transcriptome and microbiome analysis and clinical research a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of statistics, statistical genetics, bioinformatics concepts, methods and tools. Familiarity with genomic data tools, repositories, and databases.
- Strong attention to detail and solid analytical skills.
- Ability to work hard and independently while contributing to the team effort and adhering to deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with track record of productive collaborative work.
- Demonstrated ability to work concurrently on several projects, and good understanding of research and analytic complexities to do independent research as well as assist other researchers.
- Analyze next generation sequencing data, including whole genome, RNA-Seq, 16S rRNA, metagenome, and methylation data.
- Develop and implement algorithms, statistical methods and software to analyze next generation sequencing data for disease risks, disease mechanisms, and biomarkers. Projects will include network construction and mining.
- Integrate and translate multi-omic and clinical data into novel diagnostics, therapeutics and disease mechanisms
- Maintain complex next generation sequence and array datasets linked to clinical data.
- Communicate research progress with PI on a regular basis and contribute to the success of the research team
- Develop and maintain productive collaborations within Mount Sinai and with outside researchers in academia and industry.
- Publish and present novel research findings in academic journals and conferences
- Some supervision of trainees and technical staff may also be required.
Interested and qualified candidates may inquire about positions by submitting a CV and detailed letter of interest to Professor Supinda Bunyavanich (Supinda.Bunyavanich[at]mssm.edu).